On July 18 2017, the SDG Business Forum will take place at the United Nations in New York. The forum will bring together leaders from business and government, as well as heads of UN agencies, key international organizations, and civil society groups to discuss the role of business in delivering the 2030 agenda. Amongst many others, participants include United Nations Global Compact, International Chamber of Commerce, Global Business Alliance for 2030 and Novozymes.
Business play a crucial role in achieving the 17 UN goals on Sustainable Development by 2030. During the forum, the current progress to reach the goals will be outlined. This year's forum will focus on 7 goals:
- Goal 1. No Poverty
- Goal 2. Zero Hunger
- Goal 3. Good Health and Well-Being
- Goal 5. Gender Equality
- Goal 9. Industry, Innovation and Architecture
- Goal 14. Life Below Water
- Goal 17. Partnerships for the Goals
Furthermore, the critical issues in collaboration between governments and businesses will be discussed and dialogue will be fostered to find solutions. Businesses more and more acknowledge the business case for sustainable development and commitments from SMEs and multinationals to contribute to the SDGs is quickly gaining momentum. Besides monitoring the progress that has been made, key focus areas of the event will be sustainable investments and partnerships.
The event includes the following sessions:
- Session 1: Private Sector Investing in SDGs
- Session 2: Reporting Business Progress on the SDGs
- Session 3: Experience of Business Engagement with Governments
- Session 4: Rapid-Fire Presentations on Goals in Focus
For more information about the event, please click here.
Image source: Wikimedia Commons, Google Images